Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Happy Solstice

So, I seem to be down to blogging on Tuesdays.  That’s not good at all.  But it’s That Time Of Year, when there aren’t enough hours in the day, at work and at home, and I have to prioritize and unfortunately, sleep comes before most anything.

I apologize.

Today is the winter solstice.  The shortest, darkest day of the year. 

Thank gawd.

Because while I love the winters here, the darkness just makes me sleepy.  No matter how much Prozac I take.  It is good cuddling weather, though.  I do love that.

We had a wonderful weekend.  Todd and I went to our one and only Christmas party of the season at Jenn and Scott’s down in Tacoma.

Have I told you about my new best friend ever, Jenn?

I googled Sanctuary weddings back in the summer of 2009 to see how other people who got married there set up the tables and where they put the cake table and stuff.  Our caterer told me I could not fit 12 tables of 8 on the carpeted area, but I was convinced I could.  I found Jenn’s wedding website, with notes about the Sanctuary.  She and Scott had been married there the same weekend in November of 2008.  So I emailed her, starting with “I’m so sorry to bother you, but…..”

She immediately emailed back with numerous paragraphs and photos.  Thus began a blossoming friendship.  And I compromised and did 8 tables of 8 and 4 tables of 10.

We emailed each other right up to the wedding date, and then I emailed her on the 8th and wished her a happy anniversary.  They came to our tiki party in August, and surprised the absolute shit out me, so we returned the gesture and headed down to their Christmas party on Saturday.

They are such phenomenal people.  I love them both.  And I think Todd is sick of hearing me say that.  We’ve made a tentative plan to have them up soon for dinner and to share wedding videos.

While the men sit outside and talk about manly stuff, I’m sure.

Anywho, their party was lovely and their house is beautiful and their friends are wonderful and the wine was excellent.  They have a calico kitty named Frankie that absorbed all of my attention when she finally decided to join the party….after most everyone had left. 

I kept telling Todd, “But I don’t WANT to leave.  I want to live HERE!”

I can’t believe I’ve found such a good man who will tolerate me like he does.

On Sunday, Todd made banana bread while we watched the sucky football game and did laundry.  A very domestic day.

And that evening, we headed over to Doug and Ann’s to decorate gingerbread houses.  Because that’s what you do during the Christmas season.  Well, Todd, Kayleigh and Tyler decorated houses.  I drank pink champagne and cut bread and ate cookies.

Thankfully, it was an early night, so we were all tucked away by 10:00pm.

I’m only working two days this week (WOO-FREAKIN-HOO) and both days I’m down in Shipping and Receiving in the afternoons helping to send out employee Fed Ex packages.  Because I’m helper.  It’s actually pretty fun.  I get to be social and meet a bunch of people I’ve never met face to face.  And the afternoon just flies by. 

So!  Countdown to vacation!  And sleeping in!!



No comments: