Sunday, February 24, 2008

A Thrilling Day Here In Raechelle-land

Actually, not so much. I slept until 12:30pm, and haven't stepped outside of my apartment all day. Guess being such a wild gal Friday night really took it out of me.

I did watch the Oscars, though.

And the big thrill of the Oscars was first, seeing that Glen Hansard's and Markéta Irglová's song Falling Slowly, from the movie "Once", was nominated for Song of the Year, and then actually watching them WIN the Oscar, beating out those big ass productions from the movie Enchanted. I had goosebumps.

Why does this thrill me so?

A backstory:

Mic Christopher and Glen Hansard were best friends way back when in Dublin. Mic is the son of McP's parents' best friends. Ya follow me? McP was raised for a short time with Mic, until Mic's family moved back to Ireland from New Jersey, but the families were still very close. Sadly, Mic passed away in 2001, at 32, after slipping down some steps while touring with The Waterboys. When the movie "Once" came out, McP went to see it with a friend, not knowing what it was about or that Glen, and even some of McP's cousins, were in it. Afterwards, he was a little shell shocked, and a bit sad.

That's when I was introduced to Mic's music, and now, just hearing his voice makes me think of good times, in the midst of dark times. In the process of learning about Mic, I've learned about Glen and his band The Frames. And, to come full circle, it just tickles me to death that this busker from Dublin now has an Oscar. Big things for a small town irish boy.

They turned the mic off before could Markéta could say her thank yous, but they brought her back out after the commerical break. She said the song was about hope and that's what we all need now - hope. And she was completely amazed that they had come this far and this just goes to show that going after your dreams can make them come true.

Very inspiring.

And there's my Sunday, in a nutshell.

No comments: