Wednesday, January 23, 2008

I Want To Be The Flower, Dammit!

I had lunch with Jamie today and the discussion turned, of course, to relationships and the careful cultivation required. Eventually the metaphor of gardening came up and the more we talked about it, the more it fit so perfectly.

Relationships are like gardening. You plant the seed. You wait. You learn that certain plants take certain care - some thrive on water and sun, some thrive on minimal light and little water. You just have to know your plant. Know what your plant needs.

And, as Jamie said, it takes manure. A lot of manure.
She's currently in the manure phase.

Someone once said, "There are flowers and there are gardeners." I'm ready to be a flower. I've killed cacti in the past. I have no green thumb. Actually, would it be a red or pink thumb if we're still talking about relationships? That conjures up the vision of an infected or inflamed thumb, which also kind of reminds of relationships and how when you slip and hit yourself........ Wait......I'm getting off topic......

Anyway, I may be doomed. I am no gardener.
But I have manure, so I got that goin' for me.

No comments: