Saturday, October 19, 2013

Welcome to Pisswilly Ranch - Luxury Rehabilitation Resort

Dearest Reader,

It is Day 1 of my stay at Pisswilly Ranch, the internationally unknown rehabilitation center hidden deep in the hills of Belington, West Virginia.  Simply brillliant - no one would think this homey, modular, single guest room center could host someone of my stature, with my laundry list of anxieties and issues.  I shall relish in the privacy and serenity of this isolated location.

The hosts seem nice.  A husband and wife team, obviously taking the "parent" approach in their technique.  They were gracious enough to pick me up at the airport (after a night of wild gambling, they said) and bring me to the center.  En route, we stopped at a quaint diner, Bob Evans, for lunch and I witnessed their technique in full force as they bantered and inquired about my well being.

Upon arrival (after stopping for kitty litter - it was my pleasure to help the Mrs. at Family Dollar), I was shown to guest room, with adjacent semi-private bath.  Simple and comfortable, although the bird shower curtain and bird pictures in the bathroom, at first, caused me alarm (you know how I hate birds), my fear was calmed by the gentle blue and gold tones.  The Mrs. had the bathroom stocked with my preferred moisturizer, face soap and body wash, so I am well accommodated.

I unpacked my belongings for my three week stay, hanging clothes and plugging in my computer.  I have laid out my clothes for tomorrow's 11am church service, which the Mrs. has asked me to attend with her.  It has been years since I've been to a church service, but the brochure tells me that this is part of the parenting therapy and if I happen find the spirit, well, that's just a bonus.

There is a resident cat, Goober, that is quite old and a bit disoriented these days, I'm told.  He's very much a love and lets me rub his belly while he purrs.  I was adamant about cat therapy - it is a must for me.

Between arrival and dinner, I had a much needed nap, as I did not sleep a wink on the plane ride.  I say that I sleep very well on planes, but that is apparently no longer true.  I may forgo the red-eye flights in the future, as it makes the day a bit difficult once I'm at my destination.

Dinner consisted of pinto beans, a baked potato and white bread, with butter.  My initial inclination was to wrinkle my nose at beans and a potato, but as fate would have it, it was exactly what I needed after my long night of travel.  The baked potato was perfect and the pinto beans took my back to my childhood.

I assisted the Mrs. with some computer technical support (also required, per the brochure) and we shared recent pictures of family and the bathroom remodel Todd and I are currently tackling.  The Mrs. very much liked our choice of flooring, tub and surround, which warmed my heart and gave me comfort.

I took a moment to call Todd, since phone calls are not restricted, to catch up on the day's events back in Seattle.  Todd is still getting over the horrible head cold that we both shared at the beginning of the week, and I shared that I've had a slight relapse due to traveling. 

Luckily, there is a pharmacy (of sorts) on site here at the center, so the Mrs. was kind enough to give me a dosage (or three) of cough syrup with codeine.  I am writing quickly, as I can feel it taking hold as I sit here.

I am confident that this stay will be very positive and helpful in getting my head cleared of the recent fog, and reconnecting me to what is important in my life.  Music, writing, family and simplicity.  Autumn is in full swing in the country, and the leaves are falling silently from the trees.  There was a brief rain shower, during which the resident deer (nine of them) came to dine on the corn the couple provides.  The weather forecast predicts a bit of snow on Wednesday, about which I am very excited.  I will be sure to take pictures. 

Until next time,
Rae-rae

No comments: