Friday, August 26, 2011

What A Difference A Week Can Make!

The OMD (Office Manager Dude) asked me how I was doing yesterday. I genuinely beamed and said “Fantastic”.

This week has been so much more comfortable. I’m feeling very sturdy and competent and take charge. Like when I asked Super Boss how he liked the blinds on his windows. All the way up or down a little bit? Because there’s two windows, each with blinds, and the blinds didn’t match. They must match. He laughed and said, “I like them like that one.” Bam! Now they’re the same. A co-worker asked, “What do you do when the sun comes in?” I looked at Super Boss since he actually sits in the office. But Super Boss looked at me.

He said, “Well? He’s asking you, as you clearly run the office now.”


I’ve talked Archer and football with co-workers, I’ve rearranged my desk, and I’ve created my food drawer. I holler at Super Boss in his office, like everyone around here does. I gently reprimanded him Monday morning for leaving on Friday and not even telling me (I am your assistant. How can I assist you if you don’t tell me you’re leaving? Hmm?). And I moved the $70 bottle of wine that was sitting on his desk out of the sunshine so it would not get ruined.

I am full service, baby.

I’ve gotten some good feedback about my ideas and thought processes so I’m starting to feel like I’m in my element now.

Except for the whole bus thing.

I had a meeting at 8am in the UDistrict on Wednesday, so I drove and got validated for the day (I love validation. In every sense of the word). It was such a different experience. I got home and was relaxed and chipper and energetic. When I ride the bus, I’m in a constant ball of tension from the moment I get to the bus stop until I walk in the house. I thought I would be able to blog or read or sleep on the ride, but I’m overstimulated and can’t focus on anything except all of the freakin’ people around me and what they may or may not be doing and dear gawd, what is that smell? Todd says it’s my own personal hell – stuck in a moving vehicle with a crowd.


So on Wednesday, I listened to my music, I waited patiently behind a car turning left and got home in half the time. Totally worth paying for parking, if you ask me.

Which you didn’t, but I’m telling you anyway because I can’t lie or withhold information very well.
So there.

Don't judge me.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

You should do what I do and mix it up a little - I take the bus on Tuesdays and Thursdays and drive Monday and Friday when the traffic is the lightest(I work from home on Wednesdays). That way, I still save a little money each week, but don't get completely burnt out from the bus. Do you have an iPod? I put my plugs in as soon as I get on that sucker and try to get into my own little world. Every now and then, I get stuck beside a man who thinks that half of my seat is his own and sits spread eagle with his leg all up in my space. Or by a person who has the worlds worst BO or halitosis. But it isn't always that bad. Sometimes I get two seats to myself! And I can handle it 2 or 3 times a week.

Glad things are going so great for you at work! I can imagine you being the Executive Assistant from heaven :)