Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Oh So PC

So, I believe I told you that the windows above my cube are frosted because our building backs up to a parking lot and transients were known to hang out back there and look in the windows.

Well, when it’s overcast, like today, the frosting just adds to the darkness in my cube.  I look up to the window with an ever increasing expectation of seeing sunshine.  Or something.  Anything.  But all I see is frost.

After looking up for the umpteenth time, I rolled my chair back to the half wall I share with Mr. Cranky Non-Decorating Co-worker and said, “I wonder if they could make the windows one way?  So we could see out, but the bums couldn’t see in?”

Mr. Cranky Non-Decorating Co-worker laughed, and laughed and then choked a little, and then laughed some more.  I didn’t get it.  It was a simple question.

When he could finally breathe again, he said, while still chuckling, “Raechelle..…bums?…Um…..I think they’re called “homeless individuals””. 

Oh, very well, Mr. PC. 

Homeless individuals.

Or why don’t we take it one step farther and call them “residentially challenged individuals”?

The point is, I want to be able to see out of my little window.

However…….if there are residentially challenged individuals out there, would that really be a better view?  Some random person staring in at me as I type?

Maybe I’ll see if facilities can paint a blue sky with little wispy clouds.  Or the tips of palm trees. 

Something.  Anything.

Maybe not a residentially challenged individual’s face, though. 
No, that would be no good.

No comments: