Monday, March 3, 2008

Skip This Post, Mom. Trust Me.

I'm a young, hip woman who's pretty open minded about all things related to sex. Some would say that's a major understatement.

So, sex toys are not a taboo topic for me at all.

I remember years ago, my mom boxed up all my books that I had left behind when I moved here and shipped them to me. Because she's as neurotic as I am, she listed out each of the books in an email so I could let her know if there were any I didn't want, and therefore, she didn't need to ship.

An excerpt of the list looked something like this:

Maya Angelou, I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
John Sandford, Eyes of Prey
Good Vibrations Guide To Sex - WHAT THE HELL IS THIS???
Good Vibrations Catalog, 1998 - WHY DO YOU NEED THIS???
Joy of Sex - WHERE DID YOU GET THIS???
Poppy Z Brite, Vampire Erotica - THIS IS DISGUSTING!!!
Stephen King, It - that's more like it

My poor mother.

Anyway, I'm not going to go any deeper into this particular topic (so you're safe), but I wanted to share a story with those of you who are genuinely interested.

There has always been the big question of how best to dispose of used toys. Let's face it - they wear out. You get bored with them. A bigger, better product has come along and you just don't have room in your toy box anymore. Throwing them away is wasteful, but you sure don't want to re-gift them. There are specific latex recycling plants, but they're normally not very convenient, if there's one near you at all. So Dan Savage, at Savage Love, has a suggestion.

If you're interested, and have often been in this position as well, read this.

Now, as my disclaimer, I don't necessarily agree or disagree with Dan. But, if you like being a pain in the ass and making a point, then it's a pretty good idea.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking I may just need to STOP reading your blog!

Anonymous said...

See - I knew your mom would read it! You might have wanted her to skip reading it - hence your title - but that warning just made her want to read it that much more. There was no way she couldn't read it. She had to. Because that's what mom's do. Sorry. You might want to start a secret blog to discuss sex stuff. ;>)
Dee